For a full health insurance update for the 2016-2017 academic year and moving forward, please visit this GPSA link.
- Aetna Student Health Insurance rate for 2016/2017: $3,296/individual
- An annual increase of ~9% ($272 paid over 9 months)
- Increase is mainly due to decreases in enrollment numbers, additional ACA taxes/fees, and high utilization (~1,500%) of the Continuation Plan (gap coverage) that our plan offered for one month after a student graduated.
- Aetna Student Health Insurance will no longer offer the Continuation Plan (gap coverage) with our plan
- Individuals can now sign-up for continuation of insurance on the Affordable Care Act (ACA) Marketplace (Found here).
- New requirements for waiver standards (Found here) for International Students will be in place for 2016/2017 academic year, including two new standards:
- Must have an in-network maximum of $3,000 or less per policy year per individual.
- Must have an out-of-pocket maximum of $15,000 per individual or $30,000 per family or less per policy year.
- According to current interpretation of ACA law, GAs’/RAs’/Fellows’ status (i.e. students versus employees) and the ability for the University to provide graduate students with a subsidy has been called into question.
- The university considers these individuals as “students” and look at the money that is provided, via stipends, as scholarships, but the Government with regard to this law sees these individuals as “employees.”
- Issue: Employers are no longer allowed to provide employees subsidies to buy individual insurance via the ACA Exchanges.
- As law is currently interpreted, the university would be incurring penalties for providing student employees with a subsidy starting in Fall of 2017.
- Currently, administration and concerned parties are looking into this law and advocating for it to be interpreted differently so that subsidies can be given to students without incurring a penalty.
NOTE: As new information is officially posted by UHS and the Graduate School, GPSA will update here and provide those updates via email and social media.
Please contact Alison Franklin (firstname.lastname@example.org) with your comments, questions and/or concerns.
Updated May 5, 2016